I’ve always had a thing for sunglasses. From sixth to eighth grade, I wore sunglasses on my head like a headband every day. (No seriously. Every day.) While I eventually gave that look up, my love for a cute pair of shades has always remained.
Something else I’ve always liked is crafting. Getting to be creative and use my talents to create cute DIYs is something I’ve always loved. But despite years of love for both a sunnies and crafting, I’ve never thought to put them together until now. I’m in love with the outcome, and today I’m going to share my process with you (and give you some ideas to use instead!) All my supplies I used will be linked, but feel free to get creative and use other things!
Here’s a fun fact before we begin: It took me so long to decide what phrase to put on my glasses. At the very last possible second (AKA: as I was arranging the beads to spell out something else) “LA VIE EN ROSE” hit me. I thought it was so perfect, because it’s a French idiom that directly translates to “life in pink,” or indirectly to the English idiom “to see life through rose-colored glasses,” or “having a positive outlook on life.” So perfect for rose gold glasses!
DIY Beaded Sunglasses Tutorial
- Plain pair of sunglasses
- Hot glue gun/glue sticks
- Alphabet beads
- Jewel stickers
- Other embellishments (I chose flowers)
- Preheat your hot glue gun. It will take about 5 minutes to heat up completely, so use that time to decide on what phrase you want to spell out. Depending on the size of your sunglasses, aim for no more than 7 letters on each side.
- Work from the outside in. I glued my flowers down first, and worked from there. When gluing down the letters on the right side, double check which letter you’re gluing down since you’ll be spelling backwards.
- When you get to a space in your phrase, put a single jewel or other embellishment in its place.
- When you run out of letters, continue putting jewels down until you get to the bridge of the nose.
- Once the inside is done, go back to the outside and finish putting jewels down either side.
- Let your new sunnies cool! Once the hot glue has totally dried, go back and get rid of all the hot glue “hairs.” (Don’t know what I’m referring to? You will once you get to this step.)
- Enjoy your newly decked out shades!
Here’s the honorable mentions that didn’t make it to the shades this time around, but might on a future edition. Let me know if you end up using any of these, I would love to see them!
- BARBIE GIRL
- BBY GIRL
- BIG DREAMS
- CARPE DIEM
- C’EST LA VIE
- CHILL DUDE
- GOOD VIBES
- HASHTAG OOTD
- NAMA SLAY
- OH HONEY
- RISE& GRIND
- SELFIES &OOTDS
I seriously had so much fun designing and making these. If I started a business, would you be interested in purchasing some? If so, let me know!